What makes a great wallet for crypto? The reality is the best crypto wallet is the one that’s right for you. As well as being secure, you need to consider the purpose of your wallet, the assets you want to store in it, the device you’ll use, and the features you want your wallet to have. For example, if you want to HODL Bitcoin long-term, you might be looking for the best crypto hardware wallets and cold wallets, but if you’re looking to interact with the DeFi market, you’d be looking for the best crypto DeFi wallets and most secure hot wallets. And you’ll still need to consider the device you’re using and whether you want the best ios crypto wallet, the best android crypto wallet or the best PC crypto wallet.
In 2023, a crypto wallet has a lot of jobs to do! This is why most crypto investors end up with a variety of wallets in use, based on their assets and devices. As a minimum, best practice is to have a secure, crypto hardware wallet for HODLing coins and tokens you’re not actively trading or investing. Most investors will then have one or more hot wallets to use when they do want to trade or interact with DeFi protocols.
It’s a lot to consider - which is why we’ve put together our best crypto wallets 2023 roundup to help you make your decision. We’re covering:
- Our pick for the best crypto wallet
- The best crypto hardware wallets
- The best Bitcoin crypto wallet
- The best crypto Defi wallets
- The best iOS crypto wallet
- The best android crypto wallet
- The best crypto wallet app
- The best PC crypto wallet
- The best hot wallet for privacy
So without further ado…
Best All-Round Crypto Wallet: Coinbase Wallet
Coinbase doesn't just offer one of the largest exchanges in the world - they also offer an awesome self-custodial web wallet. This means you're in total control of your keys and your crypto (and NFTs!). One of the reasons the Coinbase wallet is considered one of the best crypto wallets is because it comes with the perks of being a self-custody crypto wallet, but with the industry-leading security only a market leading crypto business like Coinbase can provide, including 2FA, PIN and AES-256 encrypted data.
Coinbase Wallet easily links with Coinbase exchange (and Coinbase Pro) so you can trade using the exchange with easy access to your crypto. On top of that, as a self-custody wallet, you can also use Coinbase wallet to interact with a huge variety of dapps like Uniswap, Compound, PancakeSwap, Aave and more.
Why’s it our pick for the best crypto wallet? Coinbase Wallet is a great option for all investors - especially for those who are new to crypto who might find DeFi daunting. Plus it comes with the added peace of mind of industry-leading security.
Coinbase Wallet at a glance:
- Custody type: Coinbase Wallet is non-custodial.
- Storage type: Coinbase Wallet is a hot wallet.
- Supported coins: Coinbase Wallet supports thousands of tokens, including ERC-20 tokens and all tokens hosted on EVM-compatible chains, including Abritrum, Avalanche C-Chain, BNB Chain, Gnosis Chain, Fantom Opera, Optimism, Polygon, xDai and Solana. The in-app DEX integration in Coinbase Wallet currently supports crypto on the Ethereum blockchain (and all ERC-20 tokens), BNB Chain (and all BEP-20 tokens), Polygon network, Avalanche C-Chain. The Coinbase Wallet app also includes support for BTC, DOGE, BCH, LTC, XRP and XLM.
- Cost: Coinbase Wallet is free to use excluding network fees.
- Compatible with hardware wallets: Coinbase Wallet supports for Ledger Hardware Wallets.
- Supported devices: You can download Coinbase Wallet as a browser extension for PC on Chrome and FireFox or as a mobile app for iOS and android.
Best Crypto Hardware Wallet: Trezor & Ledger
Most investors opt to HODL assets they’re not actively trading offline in a secure hardware wallet, also known as a cold wallet - as keeping private keys offline is the best way to keep your crypto safe from hackers. But there are plenty of hardware wallets to pick from, so how do you know which is the best crypto hardware wallet?
There are so many secure hardware wallets available for your crypto - but the best cold wallet for you will depend on your price range… which is why we picked two, the Trezor Model T and the Ledger Nano X. They’re both great options to suit investors of all budgets.
The Trezor Model T is widely considered one of the most secure and best hardware wallets for cryptocurrency. Originally manufactured as the Trezor One by SatoshiLabs in 2014 - Trezor was the first crypto hardware wallet to hit the market.
Trezor Model T keeps your keys (and your crypto) safe by storing your keys for you on the device, isolated from online vulnerabilities. The hardware wallet has a touchscreen that investors can use to agree to all transactions and operations - so you always have complete control of your crypto. The device also works with a number of third-party hot wallets including Exodus, MetaMask and Electrum.
Trezor Model T at a glance:
- Custody type: Trezor Model T is a non-custodial wallet.
- Storage type: Trezor Model T is a cold wallet.
- Supported coins: Trezor Model T supports more than 1,200 coins including BTC, ETH, ADA and USDT.
- Cost: Trezor Model T is $260, excluding taxes and shipping.
- Compatible with software wallets: Trezor Model T is compatible with a number of software wallets including MetaMask, Exodus and Electrum.
- Supported operating systems: Trezor Model T is compatible with all major PC operating systems including Windows, MacOS, and Linux.
A more affordable option for the best crypto hardware wallet is the Ledger Nano X. Ledger is a long-established and trusted hardware wallet manufacturer, first launched in 2014. More than 3 million investors have bought Ledger wallets - including the popular Ledger Nano X - since then in more than 200 countries.
All Ledger devices come with Ledger Live app support. This app lets investors buy, exchange and lend crypto, as well as access a variety of smart services including dapps and NFTs.
A compact and lightweight device, the Ledger Nano X connects via USB and bluetooth to both PC and mobile devices. It also has a display screen that allows you to verify transaction details while you're using the device.
Ledger Nano X at a glance:
- Custody type: Ledger Nano X is a non-custodial wallet.
- Storage type: Ledger Nano X is a cold wallet.
- Supported coins: The Ledger Nano X supports more than 1,000 cryptocurrencies including popular currencies like
- Cost: The Ledger Nano X is $149, excluding taxes and shipping.
- Compatible with software wallets: The Ledger Nano X works with a number of software wallets including MetaMask, Guarda Wallet and MyEtherWallet.
- Supported devices: The Ledger Nano X is compatible with all major PC operating systems including Windows, MacOS, and Linux.
Avoid buying a hardware crypto wallet secondhand or from any other vendor other than the manufacturer. Hardware wallets from other vendors or secondhand hardware wallets may be compromised.
Best Bitcoin Wallet: Electrum
Electrum is one of the best Bitcoin wallets, offering a safe and secure way to store your Bitcoin. Electrum wallet is an open-source Bitcoin only wallet that supports the Bitcoin Lightning Network. Which means your transactions are almost instantaneous.
The wallet offers a fairly simple interface and is hardware compatible so you can (and!) use a combination of both Electrum and a hardware wallet if you decide to pick this as your wallet.
Thanks to its open-source nature - the security of the Electrum wallet has been vetted (and contributed to) by more than 14,000 developers. Other security features include 2FA and an encryption password.
- Custody type: Electrum is a non-custodial wallet.
- Storage type: Electrum is a hot wallet, although it has multiple security features.
- Supported coins: Electrum only supports Bitcoin.
- Cost: Electrum wallet is free to download, although you'll need to pay network fees on transactions.
- Compatible with hardware wallets: Electrum is compatible with hardware wallets like Ledger and Trezor.
- Supported devices: Electrum is available on desktop and mobile on android and iOS.
Electrum has been the target of multiple phishing scams since 2019. The most common scam is to send Electrum users a fake message telling them to update their wallet, where the link to update includes malware that steals the user’s Bitcoin the next time they log in to their Electrum wallet. So far more than $22 million (1,980 BTC) has been lost to this scam. Always be hyper vigilant of any emails supposedly from Electrum. Electrum will never send you a link to download an update. You should only ever download or update Electrum from electrum.org.
Best Crypto Wallet App: Atomic
Atomic Wallet is a non-custodial, decentralized wallet that supports multiple cryptocurrencies and blockchains. With more than 4 million users around the world, it's also one of the best crypto wallets - in particular thanks to a very user-friendly mobile app with a variety of investment options.
Atomic Wallet connects to Atomic Swap - the crypto exchange Atomic Wallet is named after. You can buy and sell crypto from your wallet using credit or debit card and you'll even get up to 1% cashback when you do. Atomic Wallet also lets you stake the crypto you HODL - including Cosmos, Solana, Algorand and Cardano - letting you earn passive income all while keeping your crypto in your own control. All these features and more make it one of the best crypto wallets, with a user-friendly app.
- Custody type: Atomic Wallet is a non-custodial, decentralized wallet.
- Storage type: Atomic Wallet is a hot wallet.
- Supported coins: Atomic Wallet supports more than 500 cryptocurrencies.
- Cost: Atomic Wallet is free to use, although you’ll pay network fees on transactions.
- Compatible with hardware wallets: Atomic Wallet is not compatible with hardware wallets yet - although the development team have said it is in the works.
- Supported devices: Atomic Wallet is available both on desktop and android mobile devices.
Best iOS Crypto Wallet: Edge
Edge offers iOS users (and android users!) an easy way to manage all their crypto assets securely. Edge wallet has attracted more than 3.3 million downloads in 179 countries, thanks to multi-asset support and features like in-app buying and selling.
Edge keeps your crypto secure all in one app - all you need is a username and password (or PIN or Biometric login), user data is encrypted and automatically backed up so if you ever lose your device, your assets are right where you left them. For additional security, Edge offers password recovery and 2FA.
Edge is available on both iOS and android - and the mobile app is extremely user friendly, especially for newbie investors.
- Custody type: Edge is a non-custodial wallet.
- Storage type: Edge is a hot wallet.
- Supported coins: Edge supports Bitcoin, Ethereum (and all ERC-20 tokens), Litecoin, EOS, Stellar, Ripple, Dash and Monero.
- Cost: Edge is free to download, although you’ll pay transaction fees and network fees.
- Compatible with hardware wallets: Edge is not compatible with hardware wallets yet.
- Supported devices: Edge is available on iOS and android.
Best Android Crypto Wallet: Coinomi
Coinomi is a secure crypto wallet and one of the best crypto wallets for android users. Coinomi has a huge range of supported assets - racking up an impressive list of more than 1,770 cryptocurrencies. You'll find all the usual suspects like Bitcoin, Ethereum and more on Coinomi, as well as the majority of popular stablecoins, a huge variety of DeFi tokens for more than 125 blockchains.
Coinomi was founded back in 2014 and boasts a solid track record as the platform has never been hacked before. Strong wallet encryption and cryptography ensure your private keys never leave your device. Other features that make Coinomi an excellent choice for investors is cold staking, zero fees, and native segwit support.
- Custody type: Coinomi is a non-custodial crypto wallet.
- Storage type: Coinomi is a hot wallet.
- Supported coins: Coinomi supports more than 1,770 cryptocurrencies.
- Cost: Coinomi is free to use, although you’ll pay network fees.
- Compatible with hardware wallets: Coinomi isn’t compatible with hardware wallets.
- Supported devices: Coinomi is available on desktop and mobile, including android and iOS.
Best PC Crypto Wallet: Exodus
Exodus is a non-custodial wallet available on desktop that comes with a range of appealing features for investors. Not only does Exodus support more than 225 crypto assets, but other features include live charts and portfolio tracking, a built-in exchange, staking, and even a compound finance app.
Exodus is considered one of the best crypto desktop wallets, but it also comes as a mobile app and a browser extension. One of the reasons the desktop version of Exodus is particularly popular with investors is Exodus' integration with Trezor hardware. With this partnership, you can manage your Exodus assets securely from your Trezor hardware wallet - giving you the ultimate in advanced security for your cryptocurrency.
Exodus at a glance:
- Custody type: Exodus is a non-custodial crypto wallet.
- Storage type: Exodus is a hot crypto wallet.
- Supported coins: Exodus supports more than 225 cryptocurrencies.
- Cost: Exodus is free to download but you’ll pay network fees as standard.
- Compatible with hardware wallets: Exodus and Trezor are partnered and all Trezor wallets are compatible with Exodus, giving you unrivaled security.
- Supported devices: Exodus is available on desktop, as well as on android and iOs if you prefer a mobile app.
Best Hot Wallet for Privacy: Guarda
Like many of the other wallets in this article, Guarda is a multi-asset, non-custodial, software wallet that supports more than 400,000 crypto assets across 50 blockchains.
But what makes Guarda stand out of the crowd is a strong focus on the right to confidentiality and the security of personal data. As such, you'll never be asked for any private info when creating your Guarda wallet - so your user data, and your crypto is yours alone. Guarda never asks for private info and doesn't store private keys on the company's servers.
Guarda at a glance:
- Custody type: Guarda is a non-custodial crypto wallet.
- Storage type: Guarda is a hot crypto wallet.
- Supported coins: Guarda supports more than 400,000 crypto assets.
- Cost: Guarda is free to download and use, but there are in-app purchase fees.
- Compatible with hardware wallets: Guarda is compatible with Ledger.
- Supported devices: Guarda is available as a web wallet, browser extension, and app on Android and iOS.
Best Crypto DeFi Wallet
The best crypto DeFi wallet depends on the DeFi ecosystems you want to interact with. There’s a world of DeFi investment opportunities out there, from the Ethereum ecosystem to the Cosmos ecosystem. Depending on your investments, you may want a multi-chain wallet like MetaMask or Trust Wallet, or a dedicated blockchain wallet, like Phantom or Yoroi.
With this in mind… we’ve put together a whole list of the best crypto DeFi wallets… whatever blockchain you’re using!
Best Ethereum Wallet: MetaMask
MetaMask is one of the biggest and best crypto DeFi wallets, with more than 21 million users! It’s an excellent choice for a non-custodial hot wallet for Ethereum investors, although it also supports many other blockchains including BSC, Polygon, Avalanche and more - you'll need to configure your MetaMask wallet to do this though.
MetaMask lets you interact with a world of DeFi opportunities, all you need to do is head to your chosen dapp and use the MetaMask browser extension or mobile app to connect and you’ll be able to buy, trade, stake, farm and more in minutes.
MetaMask at a glance:
- Custody type: MetaMask is a non-custodial crypto wallet.
- Storage type: MetaMask is a hot wallet.
- Supported blockchains: MetaMask is primarily built for the Ethereum blockchain, however, it also supports a number of other popular blockchains including BSC, Polygon and more.
- Cost: MetaMask is free to use, but you’ll pay gas fees on transactions.
- Supported devices: You can download MetaMask as a browser extension, or on mobile devices on android and iOS.
Best BNB Smart Chain Wallet: Trust Wallet
As with MetaMask, Trust Wallet is actually a multi-chain wallet, so it can support a variety of blockchains including Ethereum. It’s known as one of the best BNB smart chain wallets available.
Trust Wallet is actually owned by crypto behemoth Binance - one of the most trusted crypto exchanges in the world, so you know your crypto is safe with Trust Wallet and more than 25 million investors using Trust Wallet agree!
Trust Wallet offers all the features you'd expect of a top crypto wallet - you can buy, trade, stake, farm and more with a feast of DeFi investment opportunities at your fingertips.
It's important to note that although Binance owns Trust Wallet - it's still a non-custodial wallet, so you have complete control of your keys and your crypto.
Trust Wallet at a glance:
- Custody type: Trust Wallet is a non-custodial wallet.
- Storage type: Trust Wallet is a hot wallet.
- Supported blockchains: Trust Wallet supports more than 4.5 million assets in total and 65 blockchains, including BNB, ETH, BTC, SOL, MASTIC and more.
- Cost: Trust Wallet is free to download although you’ll pay standard gas fees for transactions.
- Supported devices: You can download Trust Wallet on mobile devices, on android or iOS.
Best Solana Wallet: Phantom
Phantom is one of the most popular and best Solana wallets - giving you all the tools you need to explore the Solana ecosystem.
Phantom is a non-custodial wallet, so your data and crypto stays with you at all times. For additional security, Phantom has Ledger hardware support and biometric authentication to help keep your keys safe and secure.
As soon as your Phantom wallet is set up, you can get to exploring the Solana DeFi ecosystem, where you can buy, trade, stake, farm and more.
Phantom wallet at a glance:
- Custody type: Phantom is a non-custodial wallet.
- Storage type: Phantom is a hot wallet, although it offers Ledger support.
- Supported blockchains: Phantom is a Solana wallet.
- Cost: Phantom is free to use but you’ll pay standard network fees for transfers and transactions.
- Supported devices: Phantom is available on desktop as a browser extension and on mobile devices on android and iOS.
Best Cardano Wallet: Yoroi
Yoroi is a light, non-custodial wallet for Cardano (and Ergo) that lets investors send, receive and stake ADA to earn rewards, as well as interact with the Cardano DeFi ecosystem. One of the many reasons Yoroi is so popular is because it allows for non-custodial staking without downloading a full node wallet - like Daedalus.
Yoroi keeps your ADA secure by encrypting your private keys and never sharing your data with servers or third party providers. This year, Yoroi are adding features like fiat on/off ramp support, a dapp store and an NFT gallery to name a few, making it even more of a contender for the best Cardano wallet.
Yoroi at a glance:
- Custody type: Yoroi is a non-custodial wallet.
- Storage type: Yoroi is a hot wallet.
- Supported blockchains: Yoroi supports the Cardano blockchain, as well as the smaller Ergo blockchain.
- Cost: Yoroi is free to use, though you’ll pay standard network fees.
- Supported devices: Yoroi is available on desktop as a browser extension, as well as on mobile devices on android and iOS.
Best Ripple Wallet: Xumm
Xumm is a great choice as one of the best XRP wallets, letting investors interact with XRP ledger and a huge variety of third-party tools in the XRP ecosystem.
Xumm takes your security seriously - so you can keep your crypto safe with a passcode or biometric data. All third party apps available on Xumm are vetted, while Xumm Tangem cards let you hold your keys in a Ledger hardware device and spend with ease.
Xumm wallet at a glance:
- Custody type: Xumm is a non-custodial wallet.
- Storage type: Xumm is a hot wallet.
- Supported blockchains: Xumm supports the XRP ledger.
- Cost: Xumm is free to download but you’ll pay network fees as usual on transactions.
- Supported devices: Xumm is available on mobile, for android and iOS.
Best NFT wallet
Finally, if you’re looking for a dedicated NFT wallet - one of the best NFT wallets is Enjin.
Enjin lets you buy, sell, swap and manage your NFTs all from one platform. Enjin wallet connects directly to the Enjin Marketplace - one of the leading marketplaces for NFT collectors, where you can discover, trade and collect digital art, gaming collectibles and more.
Enjin wallet is appealing to those who are new to the NFT market as well as veterans. For new NFT collects, Enjin regularly lets investors claim free NFTs via QR codes. While more experienced investors will appreciate features like custom fees and limits, easy import from all other major blockchain wallets and the token auto-add function.
Enjin keeps your investments secure with biometric ID - you'll use your fingerprint to unlock your wallet, as well as to approve transactions.
- Custody type: Enjin wallet is a non-custodial wallet.
- Storage type: Enjin wallet is a hot wallet, but there’s biometric ID to approve transactions.
- Supported blockchains: Enjin wallet supports BTC, ETH (and ERC-20 tokens, ERC-721 and ERC-1155 blockchain assets), LTC, BNB, DOGE, DOT and KSM.
- Cost: Enjin wallet is free to download, although you’ll pay standard network fees for transactions.
- Compatible with hardware wallets: You can manage some hardware wallets using Enjin wallet.
- Supported devices: Enjin wallet is available on mobile devices, for android and iOS.