Wondering which is the best crypto exchange in the USA in 2023? Given the collapse of major exchanges and platforms like FTX, the safety and security of your crypto held on centralized exchanges has never been more important. Learn about the best USA crypto exchanges in 2023 for safety and security in our guide.
Koinly assesses these platforms based on publicly available information about platform security, fees, user reviews, and more. Any information is accurate at the time of writing. This is not an endorsement of any specific provider, service or offering. It is not a recommendation to trade or use any services. Users should still carry out due diligence before trading.
Best crypto exchanges USA 2023 at a glance
Learn how we picked the best crypto exchanges.
Wondering if Coinbase is safe and reliable? As far as the best crypto exchanges go, Coinbase is both a safe and trusted US crypto exchange. Founded back in 2012, Coinbase has grown to be one of the top crypto exchanges in the world, with more than 98 million verified users trading more than 200 supported cryptocurrencies. Coinbase's popularity is largely down to its flexible minimum deposit options, a user-friendly interface, 3 Coinbase mobile apps, competitive trading fees and a range of products for every investor level. For investors looking for the safest crypto exchange, Coinbase security protocols are also known to be best in class. Let’s take a closer look.
- How safe is Coinbase? And is Coinbase wallet safe? Accounts need multi-factor authentication plus support for hardware keys. Additional security tools like Coinbase Vault (a wallet with extra security steps) and an address book to ensure your crypto always end up where you want it to, making Coinbase one of the safe crypto exchanges out there.
- Has Coinbase ever been hacked? No one wants to fall victim to a crypto hack, especially if recent headlines have you worrying is crypto safe. Being one of the best crypto exchanges, Coinbase has never been hacked directly. There was an instance in 2021 where at least 6,000 Coinbase customers had their data breached and received phishing emails, resulting in losses. In this instance, as hackers exploited a flaw in Coinbase's 2FA system, users who were hacked were refunded by Coinbase.
- Will Coinbase refund me if I'm hacked? Coinbase insures their digital assets and will generally refund users who are hacked, even if it's unrelated to a flaw in Coinbase security. You should contact Coinbase customer support for more information.
- Do you own your keys on Coinbase? It very much depends on the Coinbase product you're using. As Coinbase (and Coinbase Pro) are centralized exchanges, in this instance, Coinbase would be the custodian of your keys. Meanwhile, Coinbase Wallet is a self-custody wallet, and you manage your private keys and funds. There are pros and cons to all products. With centralized exchanges, you get the benefit of the additional security provided by Coinbase and the chance of a refund in the event of a hack; however, the phrase "not your keys, not your crypto" holds true.
- Can Coinbase freeze accounts? Yes. Coinbase may block or freeze customer funds held on Coinbase or Coinbase Pro. This would only happen when required by law or if Coinbase needed to freeze all accounts due to unprecedented events.
- How many cryptocurrencies are on Coinbase? If you’re searching for the best US crypto exchange, Coinbase lists more than 200 coins - with everything from popular cryptocurrencies like BTC, ETH and USDT to meme coins like SHIB, gaming currencies like MANA, and utility tokens like UNI.
- Does Coinbase have a mobile app? Being one of the best crypto exchanges, Coinbase has a mobile app for Coinbase exchange, Coinbase Pro and Coinbase Wallet.
- Are fees high on Coinbase? It's free to create your Coinbase account, but you'll pay transaction fees (taker and maker fees) when you trade on Coinbase, and potentially deposit and withdrawal fees if you're not using ACH.
- Are there any deposit and withdrawal limits on Coinbase? Crypto deposits are unlimited, while fiat deposits may be limited depending on your payment method. Withdrawals of crypto and fiat currency are limited to $100,000 a day.
- Does Coinbase have KYC? Yes. Many crypto exchanges like Coinbase have KYC to comply with regulations - if you don't complete identity verification on Coinbase, your account will be restricted. You'll need to fill out a variety of personal information and provide a photo ID document - like a driver's license or passport.
Searching for the best crypto exchanges? Binance US is one one the top crypto exchanges. Binance US - an affiliate of the parent crypto exchange Binance, launched in 2019 as a dedicated US platform. Binance withdrew services from the US due to regulatory and operational issues. And if you’re wondering is Binance US safe, the answer is yes. They boast excellent security protocol and, to date, remain un-hacked, making them one of, if not the safest crypto exchange.
- Is Binance safe? And is it safe to keep your crypto on Binance US? As with all the best crypto exchanges, Binance offers a 2-factor authentication feature, secure offline cold storage for most assets, real-time monitoring, and additional features like safe sign-in and advanced access control. A whitelist address feature - an address management or withdrawal address whitelist, and it's an efficient way for users to protect their funds from a crypto hack.
- Has Binance US ever been hacked? Unfortunately, every investor worries ‘can crypto be hacked?’. Thankfully as one of the safe crypto exchanges, Binance US has not been hacked, but its parent exchange Binance has - to the tune of more than $40 million in 2019.
- Will Binance US refund me if I'm hacked? In the instance mentioned above and in others, Binance has refunded users where the hack was related to a security flaw at Binance, making it one of the best crypto exchanges in terms of accountability.
- Do you own your own keys on Binance US? No - Binance holds private keys to your wallet. However, you will own your keys if you’re using Trust Wallet.
- Can Binance US freeze accounts? They can if legally compelled to, but it's unlikely. As one of the best US crypto exchange platforms, Binance offers excellent liquidity and has bailed out many other companies affected by hacks, like the Axie Infinity's Ronin Network hack.
- How many cryptocurrencies are on Binance US? 119 - all major coins plus thousands of tokens on BNB + Trust Wallet for DeFi.
- Does Binance US have a mobile app? Yep Binance US on mobile plus Trust Wallet browser extension and mobile app.
- What fees will I pay on Binance US? Yes maker/taker trading fees. Fee tier schedule based on your monthly trade volume, percentages get lower the more you trade. Some BTC trading pairs are 0% fee.
- Are there any deposit and withdrawal limits on Binance US? Yes, there are some deposit and withdrawal limits and fees for Binance US users although it depends on your payment method.
- Does Binance US have KYC? Yes. Binance US would require a Photo ID, address, name, and some other personal information before you can start trading.
Kraken has gained popularity since launching in 2011, thanks to its transparent team. The CEO has often echoed the popular phrase, “Not your keys, not your crypto,” and actively encourages self-custody, which has helped the platform grow to more than 6 million users who are trading over 200 different coins and making it one of the top crypto exchanges
- Is Kraken safe? Yes. Kraken security labs are fully dedicated to protecting user assets. They actively test third-party products and services, work to fix security flaws, and have an extensive bug bounty program for white-hat hackers. They keep 95% of assets in an off-line, air-gapped, cold storage and include 2FA, master key, PGP encryption, and global setting lock as part of their security protocols.
- Has Kraken ever been hacked? While some accounts were breached due to user negligence, the platform itself has never been hacked.
- Will Kraken refund me if I'm hacked? Because they haven’t suffered a crypto hack, we can’t be sure how much accountability they would take. So, can Kraken be trusted? Yes! The fact that they have previously refunded traders hit with a dip in ETH price on Kraken, where the price disparity from other exchanges was considerable, bodes well for users.
- Do you own your own keys on Kraken? Only a decentralized crypto exchange would give you ownership of your keys. Kraken is a centralized exchange, meaning you don’t own the keys on the platform, but they always suggest using a non-custodial wallet that would allow you to own your keys.
- Can Kraken freeze accounts? They can, but unlikely unless pressured by a gov/law. CEO spoke out about issues with Canada gov seizing accounts and encouraged users to keep their crypto in their custody, offline.
- How many cryptocurrencies are on Kraken? They currently offer 195 coins to be traded.
- Does Kraken have a mobile app? Yes, it is available on the Apple app store and Google Play. They previously had the futures app but discontinued it in Jan 2022.
- What fees will I pay on Kraken? Kraken has opted for a tier fee structure between 0% and 0.16% for makers and 0.10% to 0.26% for takers. This is based on monthly trading volume in USD. A 0.9% fee for purchasing any stablecoins, 1.5% fee for any other crypto purchase, plus a transaction fee of up to 3.75% depending on payment method.
- Are there any deposit and withdrawal limits on Kraken? And more importantly, “Can I withdraw USD from Kraken?” Yes! Your tier and payment method will also play a role in your withdrawal and deposit limits, with daily limits of as much as $9,000 for deposits for an express account and up to $10,000,000 for the pro account.
- Does Kraken have KYC? Yes - however various levels of KYC are available, including starter, express, intermediate, and pro. Only the intermediate and pro levels require supporting documents.
Founded in 2014, Gemini is one of the 10 top crypto exchanges in the US with a security-first mentality. They are the world's first SOC 1 Type 2 and SOC Type 2 certified exchange and custodian. They currently have over 13 million active users.
- Is Gemini safe? Yes. Their security-first focus has made them incredibly popular with users, and they follow a strong compliance strategy to protect their user’s assets. Security measures include; 2FA, support for hardware security keys, and address listing, which all play a role in keeping the platform safe. Despite this, Gemini has unfortunately succumbed to a crypto hack.
- Has Gemini been hacked? Yes - as recently as 2022, Gemini has been hacked, although the extent of the breach was limited to a select few accounts. They suffered $36 million in losses, and the IRA Financial Trust filed a lawsuit alleging negligence. Gemini has rejected these allegations and has stated that it was an isolated security incident.
- Will Gemini refund me if I'm hacked? The ongoing litigation means that Gemini has not yet refunded the accounts, but all USD assets are FDIC insured, and they have insurance for digital assets.
- Do you own your own keys on Gemini? No - Gemini is a centralized exchange, and only a decentralized crypto exchange gives you ownership of your keys.
- Can Gemini freeze accounts? Yes - Gemini may freeze your account, but usually only when security concerns arise. Their customer support team is available to guide you through the unfreezing process.
- What crypto is on Gemini? Gemini has over 120 different coins available to trade on their platform.
- Does Gemini have a mobile app? Yes. The Gemini app is available for download on the Apple App Store, Google Play, and the Galaxy Store.
- What fees will I pay on Gemini? Generally, Gemini has a maximum fee of 1.49% - although this is often lower for most users.
- Are there any deposit and withdrawal limits on Gemini? Yes. There are deposit and withdrawal limits in place for Gemini users, which are determined by your payment method, although some methods have no limits in place.
- Does Gemini have KYC? Yes. As is required by finance industry regulators, US residents need to supply a valid driver's license or passport to open a Gemini account.
Crypto.com is a well-established exchange that has been servicing the European market since 2018. But is Crypto.com available in the US? In March 2022, they began rolling out their service to US investors, and they currently have a waitlist in place. Security should be a top concern for any investor researching the best crypto exchanges, so is crypto.com safe? It appears so - they boast very strong security measures, with all deposits being screened for compliance and a dedicated team to monitor transactions. However, they are not immune to crypto hacks. They currently have over 10 million active users and offer over 220 cryptocurrencies to be traded.
- How safe is crypto.com? This US crypto exchange boasts strong security protocols with MFA for accounts with passwords, biometrics, email, SMS, and OTP authentication. Whitelisting external addresses through email is mandatory. They boast industry creds such as ISO 22301:2019, ISO/IEC 27701:2019, ISO/IEC 27001:2013- which deal with how they prepare for and react to any disruptions that may arise. Crypto.com also has PCI-DSS v3.2.1 Level 1 compliance - which is credited to businesses that process over 6 million card transactions a year and have suffered a breach, independently assessed at Tier 4, the highest level for both NIST Cybersecurity and Privacy Frameworks, as well as Service Organization Control (SOC) 2 compliance which addresses how they manage personal data.
- Has Crypto.com been hacked? Yes. Crypto.com was hacked in January 2022 due to a flaw in their 2FA. This saw 483 users impacted and $35 million stolen. We know that a crypto hack is always a danger, and the breach in 2020 left a lot of investors wondering is Crypto.com safe in the USA? Given the number of users who were affected compared to the user base, we have to say that they have to be considered one of the safe crypto exchanges.
- Will Crypto.com refund me if I'm hacked? Yes. When they were hacked in 2022, Crypto.com immediately acknowledged its fault and refunded all affected users.
- Do you own your own keys on Crypto.com? Crypto.com Wallet users own their private keys, but the exchange does not.
- Can Crypto.com freeze accounts? Yes - compliance is a high priority for Crypto.com, so they reserve the right to freeze accounts if compelled by law (although this is unlikely).
- How many cryptocurrencies are on Crypto.com? There are currently 221 different coins available to trade on Crypto.com
- Does Crypto.com have a mobile app? Yes, it's available for both iOS and Android.
- What fees will I pay on Crypto.com? Fees will vary, and they have adopted a tiered structure based on your 30-day trading volumes. There is a maximum maker fee of 0.4%, and they also offer discounts for users CRO token holders.
- Are there any deposit and withdrawal limits on Crypto.com? No minimum deposit is in place at Crypto.com, while withdrawal limits depend on the specific crypto you're withdrawing.
- Does Crypto.com have KYC? Yes, to open a Crypto.com account you'll need to submit your personal information and a valid photo ID.
Bitstamp is a well-established exchange founded in 2011 and was one of the first to be registered by BitLicense in NY. The popularity of the exchange has grown thanks mainly to the straightforward and relatively low fee structure, meaning that they have become one of the top crypto exchanges.
- Is Bitstamp safe? Yes. Bitstamp's safety and security measures include 2FA, multi-sig hot wallets, and email confirmation for withdrawals. On top of this, as you’d expect from safe crypto exchanges, they also store most assets offline in cold storage.
- Has Bitstamp been hacked? Yes. They were hacked in 2015 when $5 million in BTC was stolen through a phishing scam that targeted 6 Bitstamp employees. A crypto hack can leave you wondering who is the safest crypto exchange? Given the time since Bitstamp's hack and their response, we have to say that they are one of the safest crypto exchanges.
- Will Bitstamp refund me if I'm hacked? Yes. Bitstamp acknowledged accountability in 2015 and refunded all users impacted by the hack. So if you are wondering, “Can I trust Bitstamp?”, the answer looks positive.
- Do you own your own keys on Bitstamp? No, Bitstamp is not a decentralized crypto exchange, meaning you don’t own your keys.
- Can Bitstamp freeze accounts? Yes. Bitstamp has frozen accounts in the past. After the 2015 hack, they froze the accounts of all their users for a full week before relaunching services, but as a thank you, they also waived all commission fees for a week afterward.
- What coins can you buy on Bitstamp? Bitstamp currently offers 65 cryptocurrencies on their exchange.
- Does Bitstamp have a mobile app? Yes, the Bitstamp app is available for both iOS and Android.
- What fees will I pay on Bitstamp? Bitstamp has adopted a tiered fee structure that is based on your 30-day trading volumes. At most, you can expect to pay around 0.5% for transactions under $10,000, while whales with high trading volumes may pay as little as 0%.
- Does Bitstamp have a withdrawal limit? And a deposit minimum? Withdrawals via ACH are limited to $50,000 per transaction on Bitstamp. They have no minimum deposit requirements, but there's a minimum order limit of $10.
- Does Bitstamp have KYC? Yes. Bitstamp uses KYC. They also need a photo ID as part of their KYC policy.
Wondering if bitFlyer is available in the US? And if bitFlyer is one of the best US crypto exchange options? bitFlyer was launched in 2014, and in 2016 they added bitFlyer USA. Today they can boast over 2 million users. They have a relatively small portfolio of coins on offer, and remain focused on BTC trading.
- Is bitFlyer safe? Yes. bitFlyer USA boasts excellent security measures for both the platform and your account. bitFlyer itself undertakes regular hacking prevention exercises, and like most reputable exchanges, it segregates assets into a mix of hot and cold storage. For your bitFlyer account, security features include multi-sig to keep your Bitcoin safe, login confirmations, and automatic timeouts. For platform security, the exchange includes hacking prevention exercises, and their segregated management of assets, making bitFlyer USA one of the safest crypto exchange options.
- Has bitFlyer USA been hacked? No. bitFlyer USA has not been hacked, to date.
- Will bitFlyer USA refund me if I'm hacked? As bitFlyer USA have not experienced a crypto hack to date, we can’t be sure of whether they will refund customers, but as they're strongly regulated in the US, they likely would if the breach was due to their own security flaw.
- Do you own your own keys on bitFlyer USA? No, they are a centralized US crypto exchange; only a decentralized crypto exchange gives you ownership of your keys.
- Can bitFlyer USA freeze accounts? Yes. bitFlyer clearly states they reserve the right not to approve, or to close, any bitFlyer account for any reason.
- What coins can I buy on bitFlyer USA? bitFlyer focuses primarily on the trading of BTC, so they offer a limited selection of other cryptocurrencies to users. Currently, only 9 of the major coins that are on the market.
- Does bitFlyer USA have a mobile app? Yes, the bitFlyer USA mobile app is available for iOS and Android.
- What fees will I pay on bitFlyer USA? This is another exchange that’s adopted a tiered approach to fees. They also use your 30-day trading volume to determine what those charges would be - currently, they offer between 0.03% and 0.01%, which is low compared to other exchanges.
- Are there any deposit and withdrawal limits on bitFlyer USA? ACH deposits and withdrawals are free but are limited to $5,000 per week.
- Does bitFlyer USA have KYC? Yes, as with all safe crypto exchanges, bitFlyer is required to use KYC to operate in the US, but sign-up is very quick.
eToro is a renowned global trading platform that has been offering a diverse range of financial investments since 2007. But is eToro available in the US? Yes, eToro has expanded its services to US investors and is continually growing its presence. When considering where to invest, the safety of the platform is paramount. So, is eToro safe? The platform prides itself on its robust security features, and all deposits undergo compliance checks with a dedicated team supervising transactions. The platform currently hosts millions of users worldwide and supports a vast array of cryptocurrencies for trading.
- How safe is eToro? eToro has stringent security measures. It offers multi-factor authentication for accounts, incorporating passwords, email, and SMS verifications. Additionally, eToro is regulated by top-tier authorities like the FCA, CySEC, and ASIC, ensuring that they meet the highest standards of operation. They are also compliant with GDPR regulations to protect user data.
- Has eToro been hacked? No, there have been no major publicized security breaches or hacks on eToro. Nevertheless, investors should always be cautious and utilize all available security features.
- Will eToro refund me if I'm hacked? eToro is committed to user security, and in the unlikely event of a breach due to their negligence, it is likely the platform would work with users to resolve the situation, though specific details would depend on the circumstances of the breach.
- Do you own your own keys on eToro? No, eToro is a centralized crypto exchange and acts as a custodian on users' behalf.
- Can eToro freeze accounts? Yes - regulatory compliance is crucial for eToro. As a result, they retain the right to freeze accounts if required by legal mandates or to prevent fraudulent activities.
- How many cryptocurrencies are on eToro? eToro supports more than 30 cryptocurrencies at the time of writing.
- Does eToro have a mobile app? Yes, eToro's mobile app is available for both iOS and Android, allowing users to trade on the go.
- What fees will I pay on eToro? eToro charges a 1% buy/sell fee and a 0.1% conversion fee for crypto trades.
- Are there any deposit and withdrawal limits on eToro? eToro has set a minimum deposit amount, which can vary based on the user's region and payment method, and a maximum $200,000 daily send transaction limit.
- Does eToro have KYC? Yes, in alignment with global regulatory standards, to open an eToro account, users must provide personal information along with a valid photo ID.
Robinhood is a popular stock trading app that expanded its services to include cryptocurrency trading in early 2018, and Robinhood is available to customers in the majority of U.S. states. But is Robinhood safe for crypto trading? Well, Robinhood uses cutting-edge security features to protect investor assets and personal information. That being said, like all online platforms, it's not entirely invulnerable, but the popular crypto exchange boasts millions of users and offers several major cryptocurrencies.
- How safe is Robinhood? Robinhood uses advanced security measures, such as two-factor authentication, to protect users' accounts. The platform also utilizes encryption to safeguard users' personal and financial information. Robinhood is regulated by the SEC, ensuring they adhere to strict operational standards.
- Has Robinhood been hacked? While Robinhood has experienced some technical glitches and outages in the past, there hasn't been a major publicized breach or hack specifically targeting Robinhood.
- Will Robinhood refund me if I'm hacked? Robinhood has protocols in place to assist users in case of unauthorized activities. However, the specifics would depend on individual circumstances and the nature of the breach.
- Do you own your own keys on Robinhood? No, Robinhood does not provide users with private keys to their crypto holdings. It operates a custodial service, meaning users don't own their own private keys.
- Can Robinhood freeze accounts? Yes - regulatory compliance is of utmost importance to Robinhood. Therefore, they reserve the right to freeze accounts if mandated by legal requirements or if suspicious activity is detected.
- How many cryptocurrencies are on Robinhood? Robinhood offers trading for approximately 20 major cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Dogecoin, among others. The exact number and availability can change based on the market and the state you live in.
- Does Robinhood have a mobile app? Yes, Robinhood is primarily known for its mobile app, which is available for both iOS and Android devices.
- What fees will I pay on Robinhood? One of Robinhood's main selling points is commission-free trading. However, while there are no direct fees for buying or selling crypto, the platform makes money from the spread between the buy and sell prices.
- Are there any deposit and withdrawal limits on Robinhood? While Robinhood does not require a minimum deposit for crypto trading, there may be limits on withdrawals and deposits, depending on account activity and other factors.
- Does Robinhood have KYC? Yes. In line with regulatory requirements, to open a Robinhood account, users must provide their personal information and undergo identity verification.
How to choose a US crypto exchange
Picking a crypto exchange isn't easy - there are some important factors you need to consider. Here are the criteria we used to select our list of best crypto exchanges in the USA:
- Security: Ensuring the safety and security of your crypto assets is paramount. Therefore, prioritizing the security measures of your chosen exchange is crucial. We have exclusively featured exchanges that boast robust security protocols, encompassing both platform-wide and account-level safeguards.
- Reputation: In the ever-evolving crypto market, reputation holds significant value, especially given the presence of numerous questionable projects and platforms. That's why we have curated a selection of crypto exchanges with a solid reputation and a proven track record within the global and Indian crypto communities.
- Available cryptocurrencies: It's imperative that your chosen exchange offers the cryptocurrencies you intend to invest in. While some platforms focus solely on major cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum, the exchanges on our list provide a diverse range of digital assets for your selection.
- Liquidity: The recent bear market exposed vulnerabilities in various exchanges and platforms, leading to financial instability. Liquidity plays a pivotal role in safeguarding your investments and facilitating swift, low-slippage trades. The exchanges we recommend feature high liquidity to shield you from potential disruptions.
- User Interface: Cryptocurrency exchanges have evolved to accommodate users of all experience levels, from beginners to seasoned traders. Our list includes exchanges suitable for every proficiency level, including those with mobile applications for convenient on-the-go trading.
- Fees: Fees are an inevitable aspect of crypto trading. While most exchanges charge average fees, significant variations exist. We have conducted a comprehensive fee structure analysis for each exchange to assist you in identifying the most suitable option for your needs.
Why are many crypto exchanges not available in the United States?
In short, the regulatory environment for crypto exchanges in the USA is complicated. A number of agencies have regulatory oversight for crypto exchanges operating in the USA including FinCEN, the CFTC, and the SEC. Many exchanges are not able to meet the often confusing regulatory requirements in order to operate in the USA.
To further complicate things, there are also regulatory requirements at the state level, as well as the federal level. So some exchanges that may be able to operate in the majority of states, are not able to operate in others. New York, for example, classes cryptocurrency exchanges as money transmission services that must obtain specific licensing in order to provide services to NY residents. As such, many crypto exchanges do not operate in New York specifically.
In general, crypto exchanges that do not have KYC processes in place are unable to provide services to US residents.
The information on this website is for general information only. It should not be taken as constituting professional advice from Koinly. Koinly is not a financial adviser. You should consider seeking independent legal, financial, taxation or other advice to check how the website information relates to your unique circumstances. Koinly is not liable for any loss caused, whether due to negligence or otherwise arising from the use of, or reliance on, the information provided directly or indirectly, by use of this website.