MetaMask is a popular in-browser wallet for crypto investors looking to buy, store, send and swap on the Ethereum blockchain. It's also an option for those interested in investing in DeFi and exploring DApps and has attracted more than 5 million users. Whatever your MetaMask investments, Koinly can help with your taxes.
The best way to integrate MetaMask with your Koinly account is using the MetaMask browser extension. This is available on Chrome, FireFox and Brave. You can install the MetaMask browser extension on any of these browsers and we highly recommend doing this before you follow our API steps below.
Syncing your MetaMask wallet will sync all of your Ethereum transactions. To connect to other networks like Binance Smart Chain or Polygon, you'll need to create separate wallets for these networks in Koinly. You can do this by logging into your Koinly account and going to wallets. Instead of connecting MetaMask, find the network you want to connect, for example Polygon or Binance Smart Chain. Then find the public address for these networks in your MetaMask browser extension and copy and paste these into Koinly to import.
1. Auto-syncing your MetaMask data takes a couple of minutes on Koinly. This is normal, Koinly is just working through your transactions to identify which are taxable events and which aren't.
2. Once your data is imported, you might notice a small yellow warning icon next to your MetaMask wallet. This icon indicates an issue with imported data, click on it to find out the precise issue. You can learn more about how to resolve this in this guide.
3. MetaMask doesn't give the option to export CSV files, although you can use some third-party providers to export CSV data directly from the ETH blockchain.
4. Please note, Koinly does not automatically handle Uniswap V3 liquidity transactions like V2 liquidity transactions. Read more in our guide on Uniswap taxes here.
5. Some users may need to tag certain transactions themselves - in particular, staking and farming transactions. Find out more about how to tag staking transactions and farming transactions.
Something not working with your MetaMask data import? There’s plenty of help available:
Sign up free today to calculate your MetaMask taxes.
No, MetaMask doesn't provide a tax report. But you can use your MetaMask transaction history to calculate your crypto taxes and create a crypto tax report.
No, MetaMask doesn't supply a financial statement. But you can use your MetaMask transaction history to create a financial statement to use in your tax report.
MetaMask doesn't offer this option within their own platform - but you can use a third party site to get your CSV file.
How you’ll report your MetaMask taxes depends on where you live - but generally your tax office wants you to report any gains, losses or income as part of your annual tax return using the appropriate tax forms.
Yes. MetaMask is a secure wallet - however, your wallet is only as secure as you are, so always follow best practices for crypto storage.
MetaMask is developed by ConsenSys Software Incorporated. The company is well-known for a variety of Ethereum-based tools and infrastructure developments.
We might be biased - but Koinly lets you automatically import all your MetaMask transactions, including DeFi transactions and calculates your tax liability for you. Not convinced? Check out our 800+ five star Trustpilot reviews.