Looking for the best crypto exchanges you can use in the USA? You've got a lot to consider - from fees to security. As well as this, many crypto exchanges have withdrawn operations from the USA due to unclear regulatory guidance. That's why we've put together our list of the best US based crypto exchanges for 2023 to save you hours of research!
Best Crypto Exchanges 2023
Last year alone, hackers stole more than $14 billion in crypto - and although much of this was due to rug pulls and other kinds of scams, we all know crypto exchanges present an appealing target for criminals, leading many of us asking questions like “is crypto safe?” and “can crypto be hacked?”
Many top crypto exchanges have an excellent track record regarding security; for the most part, few have had major security breaches or hacks. The best crypto exchange is a personal choice, so you will need to do your research and make a decision that suits your needs. So, to help you protect your investment, we have rounded up a list of the best crypto exchanges in the USA in 2023. In doing this, we have looked at safety, the minimum deposit size, diversity of coins, their key selling points, whether they have a mobile app, the number of users, and what makes them stand out?
While we know that there are plenty of other criteria measures, we’re confident that this list will go a long way to helping you choose the best crypto exchange for you... let's dive in.
Wondering if Coinbase is safe and reliable? As far as the best crypto exchanges go, Coinbase is both a safe and trusted US crypto exchange. Founded back in 2012, Coinbase has grown to be one of the top crypto exchanges in the world, with more than 98 million verified users trading more than 200 supported cryptocurrencies. Coinbase's popularity is largely down to its flexible minimum deposit options, a user-friendly interface, 3 Coinbase mobile apps, competitive trading fees and a range of products for every investor level. For investors looking for the safest crypto exchange, Coinbase security protocols are also known to be best in class. Let’s take a closer look.
- How safe is Coinbase? And is Coinbase wallet safe? Accounts need multi-factor authentication plus support for hardware keys. Additional security tools like Coinbase Vault (a wallet with extra security steps) and an address book to ensure your crypto always end up where you want it to, making Coinbase one of the safe crypto exchanges out there.
- Has Coinbase ever been hacked? No one wants to fall victim to a crypto hack, especially if recent headlines have you worrying is crypto safe. Being one of the best crypto exchanges, Coinbase has never been hacked directly. There was an instance in 2021 where at least 6,000 Coinbase customers had their data breached and received phishing emails, resulting in losses. In this instance, as hackers exploited a flaw in Coinbase's 2FA system, users who were hacked were refunded by Coinbase.
- Will Coinbase refund me if I'm hacked? Coinbase insures their digital assets and will generally refund users who are hacked, even if it's unrelated to a flaw in Coinbase security. You should contact Coinbase customer support for more information.
- Do you own your keys on Coinbase? It very much depends on the Coinbase product you're using. As Coinbase (and Coinbase Pro) are centralized exchanges, in this instance, Coinbase would be the custodian of your keys. Meanwhile, Coinbase Wallet is a self-custody wallet, and you manage your private keys and funds. There are pros and cons to all products. With centralized exchanges, you get the benefit of the additional security provided by Coinbase and the chance of a refund in the event of a hack; however, the phrase "not your keys, not your crypto" holds true.
- Can Coinbase freeze accounts? Yes. Coinbase may block or freeze customer funds held on Coinbase or Coinbase Pro. This would only happen when required by law or if Coinbase needed to freeze all accounts due to unprecedented events.
- How many cryptocurrencies are on Coinbase? If you’re searching for the best US crypto exchange, Coinbase lists more than 200 coins - with everything from popular cryptocurrencies like BTC, ETH and USDT to meme coins like SHIB, gaming currencies like MANA, and utility tokens like UNI.
- Does Coinbase have a mobile app? Being one of the best crypto exchanges, Coinbase has a mobile app for Coinbase exchange, Coinbase Pro and Coinbase Wallet.
- Are fees high on Coinbase? It's free to create your Coinbase account, but you'll pay transaction fees (taker and maker fees) when you trade on Coinbase, and potentially deposit and withdrawal fees if you're not using ACH.
- Are there any deposit and withdrawal limits on Coinbase? Crypto deposits are unlimited, while fiat deposits may be limited depending on your payment method. Withdrawals of crypto and fiat currency are limited to $100,000 a day.
- Does Coinbase have KYC? Yes. Many crypto exchanges like Coinbase have KYC to comply with regulations - if you don't complete identity verification on Coinbase, your account will be restricted. You'll need to fill out a variety of personal information and provide a photo ID document - like a driver's license or passport.
Searching for the best crypto exchanges? Binance US is one one the top crypto exchanges. Binance US - an affiliate of the parent crypto exchange Binance, launched in 2019 as a dedicated US platform. Binance withdrew services from the US due to regulatory and operational issues. And if you’re wondering is Binance US safe, the answer is yes. They boast excellent security protocol and, to date, remain un-hacked, making them one of, if not the safest crypto exchange.
- Is Binance safe? And is it safe to keep your crypto on Binance US? As with all the best crypto exchanges, Binance offers a 2-factor authentication feature, secure offline cold storage for most assets, real-time monitoring, and additional features like safe sign-in and advanced access control. A whitelist address feature - an address management or withdrawal address whitelist, and it's an efficient way for users to protect their funds from a crypto hack.
- Has Binance US ever been hacked? Unfortunately, every investor worries ‘can crypto be hacked?’. Thankfully as one of the safe crypto exchanges, Binance US has not been hacked, but its parent exchange Binance has - to the tune of more than $40 million in 2019.
- Will Binance US refund me if I'm hacked? In the instance mentioned above and in others, Binance has refunded users where the hack was related to a security flaw at Binance, making it one of the best crypto exchanges in terms of accountability.
- Do you own your own keys on Binance US? No - Binance holds private keys to your wallet. However, you will own your keys if you’re using Trust Wallet.
- Can Binance US freeze accounts? They can if legally compelled to, but it's unlikely. As one of the best US crypto exchange platforms, Binance offers excellent liquidity and has bailed out many other companies affected by hacks, like the Axie Infinity's Ronin Network hack.
- How many cryptocurrencies are on Binance US? 119 - all major coins plus thousands of tokens on BNB + Trust Wallet for DeFi.
- Does Binance US have a mobile app? Yep Binance US on mobile plus Trust Wallet browser extension and mobile app.
- What fees will I pay on Binance US? Yes maker/taker trading fees. Fee tier schedule based on your monthly trade volume, percentages get lower the more you trade. Some BTC trading pairs are 0% fee.
- Are there any deposit and withdrawal limits on Binance US? Yes, there are some deposit and withdrawal limits and fees for Binance US users although it depends on your payment method.
- Does Binance US have KYC? Yes. Binance US would require a Photo ID, address, name, and some other personal information before you can start trading.
Kraken has gained popularity since launching in 2011, thanks to its transparent team. The CEO has often echoed the popular phrase, “Not your keys, not your crypto,” and actively encourages self-custody, which has helped the platform grow to more than 6 million users who are trading over 200 different coins and making it one of the top crypto exchanges
- Is Kraken safe? Yes. Kraken security labs are fully dedicated to protecting user assets. They actively test third-party products and services, work to fix security flaws, and have an extensive bug bounty program for white-hat hackers. They keep 95% of assets in an off-line, air-gapped, cold storage and include 2FA, master key, PGP encryption, and global setting lock as part of their security protocols.
- Has Kraken ever been hacked? While some accounts were breached due to user negligence, the platform itself has never been hacked.
- Will Kraken refund me if I'm hacked? Because they haven’t suffered a crypto hack, we can’t be sure how much accountability they would take. So, can Kraken be trusted? Yes! The fact that they have previously refunded traders hit with a dip in ETH price on Kraken, where the price disparity from other exchanges was considerable, bodes well for users.
- Do you own your own keys on Kraken? Only a decentralized crypto exchange would give you ownership of your keys. Kraken is a centralized exchange, meaning you don’t own the keys on the platform, but they always suggest using a non-custodial wallet that would allow you to own your keys.
- Can Kraken freeze accounts? They can, but unlikely unless pressured by a gov/law. CEO spoke out about issues with Canada gov seizing accounts and encouraged users to keep their crypto in their custody, offline.
- How many cryptocurrencies are on Kraken? They currently offer 195 coins to be traded.
- Does Kraken have a mobile app? Yes, it is available on the Apple app store and Google Play. They previously had the futures app but discontinued it in Jan 2022.
- What fees will I pay on Kraken? Kraken has opted for a tier fee structure between 0% and 0.16% for makers and 0.10% to 0.26% for takers. This is based on monthly trading volume in USD. A 0.9% fee for purchasing any stablecoins, 1.5% fee for any other crypto purchase, plus a transaction fee of up to 3.75% depending on payment method.
- Are there any deposit and withdrawal limits on Kraken? And more importantly, “Can I withdraw USD from Kraken?” Yes! Your tier and payment method will also play a role in your withdrawal and deposit limits, with daily limits of as much as $9,000 for deposits for an express account and up to $10,000,000 for the pro account.
- Does Kraken have KYC? Yes - however various levels of KYC are available, including starter, express, intermediate, and pro. Only the intermediate and pro levels require supporting documents.
KuCoin can boast over 18 million users and supports one of the largest rangers of currencies available to trade, with over 700 options available, making them one of the best crypto exchanges.. They are one of the top crypto exchanges due to the low KYC requirements, coins on offer, and the low fees charged. They suffered a security breach in 2020, leaving many investors wondering if crypto is safe? With security measures and digital asset insurance in place, your crypto is still a safe investment.
- Is KuCoin safe? KuCoin has industry-standard security measures, such as multi-factor authentication and password verification for trades and withdrawals. But in 2020, they were hacked.
- Has KuCoin ever been hacked? Yes, in September 2020, their security was breached, and hackers managed to steal more than $275 million in cryptocurrency. This is one of the largest hacks recorded, and the perpetrators managed to access users’ private keys. A reward of $100,000 was offered for any information, and KuCoin was able to recover $204 million of the stolen crypto. It also led to them launching the safeguard program that is in place today. So is KuCoin safe to store coins? Yes!
- Will KuCoin refund me if I'm hacked? And is KuCoin insured against hacks? After the crypto hack in 2020, KuCoin refunded stolen funds that they couldn’t recover via their insurance fund. Though the breach was significant, their response to it has helped maintain their popularity with traders.
- Do you own your own keys on KuCoin? No. KuCoin is not a decentralized crypto exchange, so you do not own your private keys.
- Can KuCoin freeze accounts? Yes, KuCoin reserves the right to freeze your account. This will only be done in extreme circumstances - as was the case after the hack in 2020, but they unfroze accounts soon after the stolen funds were retrieved..
- How many cryptocurrencies are on KuCoin? KuCoin offers an extensive range of coins to be traded. They currently list 719 different options.
- Does KuCoin have a mobile app? Yes, the KuCoin mobile app is available on both Android and iOS.
- What fees will I pay on KuCoin? Fees on KuCoin are comparatively low and are based on your trading volume over 30 days, average fees range from 0.0125% to 0.1%, and discounts are offered to KCS tokens holders.
- Are there any deposit and withdrawal limits on KuCoin? There is no deposit minimum, while withdrawals are limited to 1 BTC per day for unverified accounts and are capped at 200 BTC for verified accounts.
- Does KuCoin have KYC? Yes. But the KYC requirements at KuCoin vary depending on the level of access you desire, and this flexibility has helped grow the popularity of the exchange.
Founded in 2014, Gemini is one of the 10 top crypto exchanges in the US with a security-first mentality. They are the world's first SOC 1 Type 2 and SOC Type 2 certified exchange and custodian. They currently have over 13 million active users.
- Is Gemini safe? Yes. Their security-first focus has made them incredibly popular with users, and they follow a strong compliance strategy to protect their user’s assets. Security measures include; 2FA, support for hardware security keys, and address listing, which all play a role in keeping the platform safe. Despite this, Gemini has unfortunately succumbed to a crypto hack.
- Has Gemini been hacked? Yes - as recently as 2022, Gemini has been hacked, although the extent of the breach was limited to a select few accounts. They suffered $36 million in losses, and the IRA Financial Trust filed a lawsuit alleging negligence. Gemini has rejected these allegations and has stated that it was an isolated security incident.
- Will Gemini refund me if I'm hacked? The ongoing litigation means that Gemini has not yet refunded the accounts, but all USD assets are FDIC insured, and they have insurance for digital assets.
- Do you own your own keys on Gemini? No - Gemini is a centralized exchange, and only a decentralized crypto exchange gives you ownership of your keys.
- Can Gemini freeze accounts? Yes - Gemini may freeze your account, but usually only when security concerns arise. Their customer support team is available to guide you through the unfreezing process.
- What crypto is on Gemini? Gemini has over 120 different coins available to trade on their platform.
- Does Gemini have a mobile app? Yes. The Gemini app is available for download on the Apple App Store, Google Play, and the Galaxy Store.
- What fees will I pay on Gemini? Generally, Gemini has a maximum fee of 1.49% - although this is often lower for most users.
- Are there any deposit and withdrawal limits on Gemini? Yes. There are deposit and withdrawal limits in place for Gemini users, which are determined by your payment method, although some methods have no limits in place.
- Does Gemini have KYC? Yes. As is required by finance industry regulators, US residents need to supply a valid driver's license or passport to open a Gemini account.
Crypto.com is a well-established exchange that has been servicing the European market since 2018. But is Crypto.com available in the US? In March 2022, they began rolling out their service to US investors, and they currently have a waitlist in place. Security should be a top concern for any investor researching the best crypto exchanges, so is crypto.com safe? It appears so - they boast very strong security measures, with all deposits being screened for compliance and a dedicated team to monitor transactions. However, they are not immune to crypto hacks. They currently have over 10 million active users and offer over 220 cryptocurrencies to be traded.
- How safe is crypto.com? This US crypto exchange boasts strong security protocols with MFA for accounts with passwords, biometrics, email, SMS, and OTP authentication. Whitelisting external addresses through email is mandatory. They boast industry creds such as ISO 22301:2019, ISO/IEC 27701:2019, ISO/IEC 27001:2013- which deal with how they prepare for and react to any disruptions that may arise. Crypto.com also has PCI-DSS v3.2.1 Level 1 compliance - which is credited to businesses that process over 6 million card transactions a year and have suffered a breach, independently assessed at Tier 4, the highest level for both NIST Cybersecurity and Privacy Frameworks, as well as Service Organization Control (SOC) 2 compliance which addresses how they manage personal data.
- Has Crypto.com been hacked? Yes. Crypto.com was hacked in January 2022 due to a flaw in their 2FA. This saw 483 users impacted and $35 million stolen. We know that a crypto hack is always a danger, and the breach in 2020 left a lot of investors wondering is Crypto.com safe in the USA? Given the number of users who were affected compared to the user base, we have to say that they have to be considered one of the safe crypto exchanges.
- Will Crypto.com refund me if I'm hacked? Yes. When they were hacked in 2022, Crypto.com immediately acknowledged its fault and refunded all affected users.
- Do you own your own keys on Crypto.com? Crypto.com Wallet users own their private keys, but the exchange does not.
- Can Crypto.com freeze accounts? Yes - compliance is a high priority for Crypto.com, so they reserve the right to freeze accounts if compelled by law (although this is unlikely).
- How many cryptocurrencies are on Crypto.com? There are currently 221 different coins available to trade on Crypto.com
- Does Crypto.com have a mobile app? Yes, it's available for both iOS and Android.
- What fees will I pay on Crypto.com? Fees will vary, and they have adopted a tiered structure based on your 30-day trading volumes. There is a maximum maker fee of 0.4%, and they also offer discounts for users CRO token holders.
- Are there any deposit and withdrawal limits on Crypto.com? No minimum deposit is in place at Crypto.com, while withdrawal limits depend on the specific crypto you're withdrawing.
- Does Crypto.com have KYC? Yes, to open a Crypto.com account you'll need to submit your personal information and a valid photo ID.
Bitstamp is a well-established exchange founded in 2011 and was one of the first to be registered by BitLicense in NY. The popularity of the exchange has grown thanks mainly to the straightforward and relatively low fee structure, meaning that they have become one of the top crypto exchanges.
- Is Bitstamp safe? Yes. Bitstamp's safety and security measures include 2FA, multi-sig hot wallets, and email confirmation for withdrawals. On top of this, as you’d expect from safe crypto exchanges, they also store most assets offline in cold storage.
- Has Bitstamp been hacked? Yes. They were hacked in 2015 when $5 million in BTC was stolen through a phishing scam that targeted 6 Bitstamp employees. A crypto hack can leave you wondering who is the safest crypto exchange? Given the time since Bitstamp's hack and their response, we have to say that they are one of the safest crypto exchanges.
- Will Bitstamp refund me if I'm hacked? Yes. Bitstamp acknowledged accountability in 2015 and refunded all users impacted by the hack. So if you are wondering, “Can I trust Bitstamp?”, the answer looks positive.
- Do you own your own keys on Bitstamp? No, Bitstamp is not a decentralized crypto exchange, meaning you don’t own your keys.
- Can Bitstamp freeze accounts? Yes. Bitstamp has frozen accounts in the past. After the 2015 hack, they froze the accounts of all their users for a full week before relaunching services, but as a thank you, they also waived all commission fees for a week afterward.
- What coins can you buy on Bitstamp? Bitstamp currently offers 65 cryptocurrencies on their exchange.
- Does Bitstamp have a mobile app? Yes, the Bitstamp app is available for both iOS and Android.
- What fees will I pay on Bitstamp? Bitstamp has adopted a tiered fee structure that is based on your 30-day trading volumes. At most, you can expect to pay around 0.5% for transactions under $10,000, while whales with high trading volumes may pay as little as 0%.
- Does Bitstamp have a withdrawal limit? And a deposit minimum? Withdrawals via ACH are limited to $50,000 per transaction on Bitstamp. They have no minimum deposit requirements, but there's a minimum order limit of $10.
- Does Bitstamp have KYC? Yes. Bitstamp uses KYC. They also need a photo ID as part of their KYC policy.
Wondering if bitFlyer is available in the US? And if bitFlyer is one of the best US crypto exchange options? bitFlyer was launched in 2014, and in 2016 they added bitFlyer USA. Today they can boast over 2 million users. They have a relatively small portfolio of coins on offer, and remain focused on BTC trading.
- Is bitFlyer safe? Yes. bitFlyer USA boasts excellent security measures for both the platform and your account. bitFlyer itself undertakes regular hacking prevention exercises, and like most reputable exchanges, it segregates assets into a mix of hot and cold storage. For your bitFlyer account, security features include multi-sig to keep your Bitcoin safe, login confirmations, and automatic timeouts. For platform security, the exchange includes hacking prevention exercises, and their segregated management of assets, making bitFlyer USA one of the safest crypto exchange options.
- Has bitFlyer USA been hacked? No. bitFlyer USA has not been hacked, to date.
- Will bitFlyer USA refund me if I'm hacked? As bitFlyer USA have not experienced a crypto hack to date, we can’t be sure of whether they will refund customers, but as they're strongly regulated in the US, they likely would if the breach was due to their own security flaw.
- Do you own your own keys on bitFlyer USA? No, they are a centralized US crypto exchange; only a decentralized crypto exchange gives you ownership of your keys.
- Can bitFlyer USA freeze accounts? Yes. bitFlyer clearly states they reserve the right not to approve, or to close, any bitFlyer account for any reason.
- What coins can I buy on bitFlyer USA? bitFlyer focuses primarily on the trading of BTC, so they offer a limited selection of other cryptocurrencies to users. Currently, only 9 of the major coins that are on the market.
- Does bitFlyer USA have a mobile app? Yes, the bitFlyer USA mobile app is available for iOS and Android.
- What fees will I pay on bitFlyer USA? This is another exchange that’s adopted a tiered approach to fees. They also use your 30-day trading volume to determine what those charges would be - currently, they offer between 0.03% and 0.01%, which is low compared to other exchanges.
- Are there any deposit and withdrawal limits on bitFlyer USA? ACH deposits and withdrawals are free but are limited to $5,000 per week.
- Does bitFlyer USA have KYC? Yes, as with all safe crypto exchanges, bitFlyer is required to use KYC to operate in the US, but sign-up is very quick.
MEXC is one of the top crypto exchanges, but Is MEXC available in the USA? Yes, MEXC is available for USA users and lists a vast number of cryptocurrencies. MEXC also offers a range of trading products along with earn and derivative options too. This, plus a relatively minimal KYC process, has made MEXC one of the best US crypto exchanges, boasting a user base of over 6 million crypto investors.
- Is MEXC safe to use? Yes, MEXC offers security measures such as multi-sig, email verification, mobile verification, google authenticator, anti-phishing code, and anti-DDOS.
- Has MEXC ever been hacked? No, To date, MEXC has not experienced a crypto hack.
- Will MEXC refund me if I'm hacked? Refunds for a MEXC hack would be very likely under US regulation, plus MEXC’s Investor Protector Fund - which would protect users against technical abnormalities.
- Do you own your own keys on MEXC? No, this is a centralized exchange, so you would not own your keys on MEXC..
- Can MEXC freeze accounts? Yes, like most exchanges, MEXC reserves the right to freeze accounts should law enforcement require them to do so.
- How many cryptocurrencies are on MEXC? There are currently 1455 different coins available to trade on MEXC.
- Does MEXC have a mobile app? Yes. The MEXC app is currently available for iOS, Android, and Windows.
- What fees will I pay on MEXC? They offer a fixed trading fee of 0.2% for makers and takers and also offer a tiered system for other products, such as futures.
- Are there any deposit and withdrawal limits on MEXC? MEXC doesn’t have any limitations in place when it comes to minimum deposits, but they have implemented some restrictions on withdrawals. Unverified accounts can only withdraw 5 BTC per day, while verified accounts can take 50 BTC per day.
- Does MEXC have KYC? Yes - but the KYC requirements are straightforward, but you can access some products without it.
Bonus: Best Decentralized Crypto Exchanges
The phrase “not your keys, not your crypto” has popped up, and is a statement that should not be taken likely. It has been playing on the minds of many investors since Celsius Network and more halted transactions leaving millions of investors powerless to access their funds.
By using non-custodial wallets like Trust Wallet, MetaMask, Atomic Wallet, and the like, you have complete control over your crypto as you hold the private keys and assets. But, if you would like to use a DEX or decentralized exchange.
What is the best decentralized exchange?
Are decentralized exchanges safe?
These options are not risk-free, so make sure you understand what your responsibilities are before deciding where to invest. On a DEX you are responsible for your assets, meaning that if you lose them due to error or negligence, you don’t have much recourse, and the exchange will not bail you out.
They are also far more susceptible to market fluctuations and liquidity issues, smaller development and security teams mean that there may be vulnerabilities and security flaws that would-be hackers can exploit. An example is when SushiSwap lost $3 million, Uniswap lost $25 million in a hack, and PancakeSwap BUNNY got tanked because of a malicious flash loan. These are all real-world examples of the risks involved and while they are important to know about, owning your private keys is often the most valuable asset when it comes to your crypto portfolio.
The information on this website is for general information only. It should not be taken as constituting professional advice from Koinly. Koinly is not a financial adviser. You should consider seeking independent legal, financial, taxation or other advice to check how the website information relates to your unique circumstances. Koinly is not liable for any loss caused, whether due to negligence or otherwise arising from the use of, or reliance on, the information provided directly or indirectly, by use of this website.